Cleaning up after the Brisbane Storm
So often living in Queensland with it’s tropical climate we find ourselves waking up to the aftermath of massive storms, like the one that hit Brisbane on the 27th of November 2014.
There are certain things to remember when tackling the mammoth task of cleaning up:
First you need to make sure you have the means of removing the rubbish, debris and any trees, branches etc. that may in your driveway or if you were unfortunate, inside your house.
The best way to do this is by hiring a skip bin as this can minimise the stress of cleaning and makes for a more effective disposal solution for large debris. Companies like Smartskip can provide all sizes of skip bins for clean up’s that are big or small.
There are several things you can do to ensure your clean up is conducted in a safe manner:
- Never touch downed power lines
- Report any dangerous situations to the correct authorities
- Do no move heavy objects on your own
- Stay away from trees that look like they may have been uprooted and are leaning
- Do not use wet or damp electrical items
Damaged Vehicles or Property
Ensure you take photographic evidence of any items that have been damaged by the storm including vehicles, properties and possessions. Before you get items repaired make sure you have permission from your insurance company.
Make your claim and document all damage relevant to the claim before you being with discarding damaged items. Most of all be patient as insurance companies will be overwhelmed with
claims immediately after a storm.
Prepare your Property
Cleaning up can present a great opportunity to prepare for the next time this may happen by doing the following:
- Trim overhanging branches – you can use your skip bin to dispose of these
- Make sure your remaining property is secured
- Prepare a storm strategy for the next time it happens
- Make sure you stock up on torches, batteries and similar
Taking all of this in mind the calm after the storm should come quicker than you may have imagined. You can contact us for more information or to hire a skip bin today.